These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate WVTM – Birmingham News Least Biased based on story selection with minimally biased editorializing. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1949, WVTM – Birmingham News is an NBC-affiliated television station licensed to Birmingham, Alabama, United States. WVTM.com is the associated website that publishes news, sports, weather, and crime for the greater Birmingham area.
Funded by / Ownership
WVTM – Birmingham News is owned by Hearst Communications, which owns newspapers, magazines, television channels, and television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, and Esquire. According to Open Secrets Hearst has donated 70% to Republican candidates and causes in 2020. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, WVTM – Birmingham News reports on news, crime, sports, weather, and entertainment for the greater Birmingham and Tuscaloosa areas. Local news is covered through reporters with minimal bias in wording such as this Springville police search for missing teen. Most stories are accompanied by a video from the TV station. National news is typically covered by the Associated Press, and other Hearst affiliates.
Editorially, WVTM – Birmingham News does not publish editorial pieces and when reporting on national politics there is minimal bias as the primary source is usually the Associated Press. In general, the news is reported factually with minimal editorializing.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate WVTM – Birmingham News Least Biased based on story selection with minimally biased editorializing. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 04/10/2022)
Last Updated on April 10, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am