These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate WROC – Rochester First Least Biased based on neutral straight news reporting without offering opinion pieces. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1949, WROC – Rochester First is a CBS-affiliated television station licensed to Rochester, New York. The associated website is Rochesterfirst.com which provides news, sports, weather, politics, and crime reporting.
Funded by / Ownership
WROC – Rochester First is owned by Nexstar Media Group, which owns around 200 TV stations nationwide. The founder, chairman, president, and CEO of Nexstar is Perry A. Sook. According to Open Secrets, Nexstar Media group gave more money to Republicans in the 2018 election cycle (45% to Democrats, 55% to Republicans). However, in 2020 they gave more to Democrats (55% Democrats, 45% to Republicans). Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The WROC – Rochester First website publishes news for the greater Rochester, New York area. Local news features original reporting with minimal bias such as this: Man arrested, accused of sexually abusing children in Henrietta Walmart. Many stories also contain videos from the TV Station. National and international news is covered through Nexstar Media Wire, the Associated Press, and other large credible media outlets.
Editorially, they do not produce op-eds; however, they report political news with minimal bias, such as this Biden visits collapsed bridge, touts infrastructure law. Political reporting is reasonably balanced, covering both sides and avoidings using emotional language. In general, they report news factually and with minimal bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the last 5 years.
Overall, we rate WROC – Rochester First Least Biased based on neutral straight news reporting without offering opinion pieces. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 02/10/2022)
Last Updated on February 10, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am