These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Windsor Star Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Founded in 1888, The Windsor Star is the regional daily broadsheet newspaper of Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Funded by / Ownership
The Windsor Star is owned by PostMedia, which owns several right-leaning media outlets throughout Canada. According to a report in the left-leaning CanadaLand, PostMedia has directed its publications to be more “reliably conservative.” The newspaper is funded through advertising and subscription fees.
Chatham Asset Management, a New Jersey based hedge fund holds a large equity stake in Postmedia and majority ownership of American Media Inc. which owns the National Enquirer. David Pecker, who owns American Media, Inc. joined the Postmedia board, and then resigned from the board of Postmedia in 2018, due to his involvement of hush payments on behalf of his “friends” including President Trump and Harvey Weinstein.
According to the National Observer, PostMedia is in a downward spiral. After Postmedia announced a $1.4M loss for the last quarter of 2018, Paul Godfrey stepped down as CEO of the Postmedia Network and was replaced by Andrew MacLeod, as of 1/10/2019. Godfrey, will remain as executive chair. Godfrey was also criticized for cutting 800 full-time jobs across Postmedia in 2016 while earning an annual salary of $1.7 million. For a list of directors and upper management please see here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Windsor Star reports local and regional news through journalists with minimal loaded words such as this: Hospital threatened with libel suit as appeal hearing continues. National news is derived primarily from the Canadian Press, whereas world news comes from multiple sources such as Reuters, Washington Post, and Bloomberg. In general straight news, reporting is factual and presents with minimal biased wording, however, story selection tends to lean right.
Editorially, there is a clear right-leaning bias with commentaries such as this: Editorial: Of choices we have, Ford’s PCs are best and this Windsor Star’s View: End the subsidies. While the Windsor Star does offer opposing viewpoints, on a whole more editorials favor the conservative right.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Windsor Star Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (8/26/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/10/2019)
Last Updated on November 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am