Will Hurd is a former U.S. representative from Texas and is running for President of the United States in 2024. He is a member of the moderate conservative wing of the Republican Party. We assign Will Hurd a Right-Center Biased and Mostly factual rating due to two failed fact check.
You are viewing this page with fewer Ads
See all MBFC content Completely Ad-Free
Title: Former U.S. Representative (2015 – 2021) – Presidential Candidate
Political Party: Republican
Political Alignment: Moderate Conservative
Factual Rating: Mostly Factual
- Undercover CIA officer
- U.S. Representative for Texas’s 23rd congressional district (2015-2021)
- Presidential Run: 2023
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Mixed – On abortion policy, Hurd said he understands why there’s a national debate, but he doesn’t believe there’s a federal role. He sponsored a bill to protect infant survivors of abortion and supported barring stem cell research. He also supports banning abortion after 20 weeks, except for maternal life.
- Economy: Free Market Capitalism – He states: “To move people up the economic ladder we need free markets not democratic socialism.”
- Climate Change: Supports Limited Government Action – Will Hurd has acknowledged the gravity of climate change. He has not, however, said what he would do as president, and he voted against many climate measures in the House, where he had a 13 percent lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters, an advocacy group that assesses lawmakers’ record on the environment.
- Education: Public Schools – Want to increase teachers’ salaries. States: “We have income inequality because we have education inequality. We have to prepare our kids for jobs that don’t exist today.”
- Foreign Policy: Strong Defense – Supports Ukraine and has called for more military support for Ukraine. Speaking about Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, Hurd said. “I wish they would stop fighting with American companies like Disney and be more interested in supporting our allies against attacks against democracy.”
- LGBTQ Rights: Supports – Will Hurd supports LGBTQ rights and has called on his opponents to stop focusing on culture war issues: “I wish they would focus and focus their attacks on war criminals like Vladimir Putin, not my friends in the LGBTQ community. It is 2023. We should be talking about how do we embrace our differences?”
- Gun Ownership: Moderate Gun Control Measures – Voted for gun reform measures that included raising the age from 18 to 21, criminal background checks, and red flag laws.
- Immigration: Mixed – Hurd has criticized the idea of a border wall, calling it a “3rd-century solution to a 21st-century problem”. However, he voted to ban DREAMer immigrants from military service. He supports increasing both high-skill and family-based visa caps.
- Health Care: Market-Based Health Care – “I believe that Americans should have increased access to healthcare at a decreased cost. We can start by being transparent with services and prices and having a renewed focus on prevention.”
- Overall: Conservative – His policy positions and actions align most closely to moderate conservatism.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- Says Democratic challenger Gina Ortiz Jones has raised “more money from Massachusetts than” from Texas. – Pants on Fire
- 141 people drowned in the Rio Grande river in 2022. – False
(M. Huitsing 07/29/2023) Updated (08/23/2023)
Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check