Chris Christie is a former Governor of New Jersey and is running for President of the United States in 2024. He is a member of the Moderate conservative wing of the Republican Party. We assign Chris Christie a Right-Center Biased and Mixed factual rating due to numerous failed fact checks.
State: New Jersey
Title: Former Governor (2010 – 2018) – Attorney
Political Party: Republican
Political Alignment: Moderate Conservative
Factual Rating: Mixed
- United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey (2002-2008)
- Governor of New Jersey (2010-2018)
- Political Commentator and Lobbyist (2018-Present)
- Republican Presidential Candidate (2023 – Present)
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Mixed – Christie is pro-life with exceptions. He has successfully defunded Planned Parenthood in New Jersey.
- Economy: Free Market Capitalism – Christie is against higher taxes on the wealthy. He supports simplifying the tax code.
- Climate Change: Acknowledges – Christie acknowledges climate change as a pressing problem and, in 2022, called it an “Existential Crisis.”
- Education: Choice-Charter-Private Schools – He supports both charter schools and vouchers.
- Foreign Policy: Strong Defense – Christie ran for the presidency in 2016, articulating a conventional conservative internationalist foreign policy. He accused Obama of being weak and allowing American power to “retreat.” He said he would pursue a more assertive foreign policy. He wants Ukraine to have “every weapon they need to be able to win” in their war against Russia.
- LGBTQ Rights: Mixed – Christie has taken a moderate stance on LGBTQ rights, vetoing a gay marriage bill but also appointing an openly gay judge and signing laws banning conversion therapy. In 2023 he supported the Supreme Court’s ruling that sided with a Christian wedding website designer who rejected servicing same-sex couples. Finally, he is opposed to Transgender healthcare bans.
Gun Ownership: Limited Gun Control Measures – He vetoed a statewide I.D. system for gun owners and believes that gun laws are ineffective and that the focus should be on mental health.
- Immigration: Limited Immigration – Opposes a pathway to citizenship. Wants to control immigration as a means to stop drugs from flowing into the country.
- Health Care: Mixed – Opposes a single-payer system and nationalization of healthcare but supports expanding Medicare.
- Overall: Moderate Conservative – His positions suggest that he supports some government regulation with climate change and health care and moderately supports LGBTQ rights.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- Pfizer alone had developed a COVID-19 vaccine and U.S. residents were the first to get access to it because of the U.S. free-market system. – Misleading
- Trump promised during the 2016 campaign that he would build a wall “across the entire Mexico border.” – False
- “Joe Biden is proposing that any family who tries to pass a business or a farm down to their son or daughter or grandson or granddaughter are going to pay a huge new tax.” – Mostly False
- “everybody … whether you’ve been a criminal or not” would become “American citizens” under Hillary Clinton’s immigration plan. – False
- Bernie Sanders’ plan is “to raise your taxes to 90 percent.” – Pants on Fire
(M. Huitsing 07/22/2023)
Last Updated on July 26, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check