These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate WBRE/WYOU Eyewitness News Least Biased based on neutral straight news reporting without offering opinion pieces. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1953, WBRE Eyewitness News is an NBC-affiliated television station licensed to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania The associated website is PAhomepage.com which provides news, sports, weather, politics, and crime reporting. WYOU is a CBS-affiliated sister station based in Scranton, Pennsylvania that shares the website.
Funded by / Ownership
WBRE/WYOU Eyewitness News is owned by Nexstar Media Group, which owns around 200 TV stations nationwide. The founder, chairman, president, and CEO of Nexstar is Perry A. Sook. According to Open Secrets, Nexstar Media group gave more money to Republicans in the 2018 election cycle (45% to Democrats, 55% to Republicans). However, in 2020 they gave more to Democrats (55% Democrats, 45% to Republicans). Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
WBRE/WYOU Eyewitness News website publishes news for the greater Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania area. Local news features original reporting with minimal bias such as this: Lackawanna detectives actively search for man involved in ballot box issue. Many stories also contain videos from the TV Station. National and international news is covered through Nexstar Media Wire, the Associated Press, and other large credible media outlets.
Editorially, they do not produce op-eds; however, they report political news with minimal bias, such as this US avoids default as Republicans allow Democrats to raise debt ceiling. Political reporting is reasonably balanced, covering both sides and avoidings using emotional language. In general, they report news factually and with minimal bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the last 5 years.
Overall, we rate the WBRE/WYOU Eyewitness News Least Biased based on neutral straight news reporting without offering opinion pieces. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 12/10/2021)
Last Updated on January 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am