These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Washington Free Beacon Right Biased based on story selection that favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading and false claims.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Washington Free Beacon is an American politically conservative political journalism website that publishes news and opinion commentary. Founded in 2012, the editor-in-chief is Matthew Continetti.
The site is noted for its conservative reporting, modeled after liberal counterparts in the media such as ThinkProgress and Talking Points Memo, intended to publicize stories and influence mainstream media coverage.
From October 2015 to May 2016, the Washington Free Beacon hired Fusion GPS to conduct opposition research on “multiple candidates” during the 2016 presidential election, including Donald Trump. The Free Beacon stopped funding this research when Donald Trump had clinched the Republican nomination.
Funded by / Ownership
The Washington Free Beacon is a privately owned, for-profit online newspaper primarily funded through online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Washington Free Beacon often uses loaded words in their headlines that favor the right such as Michael Moore’s Ex-Wife Claims He Stiffed Her out of Movie Profits. The Free Beacon usually sources its information properly but occasionally uses Mixed factual sources. Regarding factual reporting, the Washington Free Beacon has a mixed track record. See below.
Failed Fact Checks
- Gender Pay Gap in Clinton’s Senate Office? – False
- 7 Hillary Clinton quotes on the Internet that are complete fakes – False
- Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar held “secret fundraisers” with “Islamic groups tied to terror.” – False
- In the summer of 2019, based on advice from an advocate general, the European Court of Justice required “Jewish-made” products to be labeled as such. – False
- Biden Administration To Fund Crack Pipes, Heroin – False
- “The Biden administration is floating a new” climate strategy: Don’t leave your house.” – Mostly False
Overall, we rate the Washington Free Beacon Right Biased based on story selection that favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading and false claims. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 03/09/2023)
Last Updated on July 1, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.