These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Talking Points Memo (TPM) Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that frequently favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to proper sourcing of information and one failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Talking Points Memo (or TPM) is a liberal web-based political journalism website created and run by Josh Marshall, a journalist, liberal blogger, and historian. It debuted on November 12, 2000. According to their about page, “Talking Points Memo (commonly known as TPM) is one of the premier digital native political news organizations in the United States – covering a broad range of politics, policy, and national news.”
Funded by / Ownership
TPM Media LLC publishes Talking Points Memo. The company is headquartered in New York City and maintains a bureau in Washington, DC. Advertising and a fee-based subscription to reduce advertising and access to the Editor’s Blog generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TPM reports on breaking stories, investigative journalism, and opinion pieces. Story selection usually favors the left and uses mild to moderate loaded language: Trump Claims Doctors Left Operating Rooms To Greet Him In El Paso. Hospital Says Nope. This story is essentially a summary of a Think Progress article; however, it is properly sourced and factual.
In general, editorials and story selection always leans left and often are very critical of former President Trump, such as this: Trump Doubles Down: American Jews Who Vote Dem Are ‘Disloyal’ To Israel. Again, this story is properly sourced to evidence via tweets, video, and the Anti-Defamation League. Further, the website offers a blog written by Josh Marshall that frequently utilizes strong loaded language that again favors the left, such as this: Today’s Agenda: NRA Appears To Quash Trump’s Feeble Gun Control Inclination.
In general, TPM reports news factually, albeit with a moderately strong liberal-progressive bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- “We know this now. The banks no longer loan (Donald Trump) money because he’s a terrible risk. So he goes to these (Russian) oligarchs and borrows money.” – Mostly False
Overall, we rate Talking Points Memo (TPM) Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that frequently favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to proper sourcing of information and one failed fact check. (7/26/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 8/05/2021)
Last Updated on August 5, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am