The Vermont Independent is a Left-Libertarian blog affiliated with the Second Vermont Republic, a secessionist group within the U.S. state of Vermont. Their mission in 2017 is to “restore the formerly independent status of the Vermont Republic (1777–91).” It describes itself as “a nonviolent citizens’ network and think tank opposed to the tyranny of Corporate America and the U.S. government, and committed to the peaceful return of Vermont to its status as an independent republic and more broadly the dissolution of the Union.”
As of 2021, they do not have an about page or any other information that details ownership or an editor.
Funded by / Ownership
The Vermont Independent does not disclose ownership and lacks transparency. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Vermont Independent publishes news and opinion pieces, with the majority being opinion pieces related to secession. Due to the many opinion pieces, there is minimal sourcing; therefore, we rate them Low for factual reporting. The wording is not inflammatory; however, they are left biased based on the reasoning for wanting to secede, such as anti-corporatism and anti-imperialism.
The above review is from 2017, and this is a great illustration of how a source can change in a short period of time. The Vermont Independent is a conspiracy website promoting anti-vaccination propaganda such as this Viral Tyranny, Transhumanism, and the Fourth Industrial Revolution (UNLIMITED HANGOUT). The source of this information is the highly discredited RFK Jr and his Children’s Health Defense pseudoscience website, which promotes debunked information on vaccines and science in general.
They also promote geoengineering and nonsense such as chemtrails found here.
The Vermont Independent has lost all credibility and is moving to our conspiracy and pseudoscience list, mostly for right-wing conspiracy theories.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Vermont Independent a Strong conspiracy and Quackery level pseudoscience website. They are also rated Low for factual reporting due to the poor sources they utilize. (D. Van Zandt 7/29/2017) Updated (7/21/2021)
Last Updated on July 21, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am