Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2015, Unicorn Riot is a non-profit independent media source. According to their about page “Our work is dedicated to exposing root causes of dynamic social and environmental issues through amplifying stories and exploring sustainable alternatives in today’s globalized world.”
Unicorn Riot is best described as a media collective that is non-hierarchical and makes decisions based on consensus.
Funded by / Ownership
Unicorn Riot is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded through tax-deductible donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Unicorn Riot often embeds journalists into protests such as Black Lives Matters and other civil issues and reports from the field and through livestreams. Unicorn Riot generally promotes protests that originate from the left such as livesteaming from the George Floyd protests and as of this writing they are covering protests to prevent the Trump administration from interfering in the election Protesters Demand Elections Remain Untampered Across United States. They also frequently expose Government abuse of the poor and homeless such as this Minneapolis Prioritizing Park Sweeps Over Sheltering the Unhoused.
From an editorial standpoint, their coverage and viewpoints align with the progressive left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. In fact, their video has been used by fact-checkers to verify claims.
Overall, we rate Unicorn Riot Left biased based on coverage of protests and stories that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record as well as being a resource for fact-checkers. (11/28/2016) Update (D. Van Zandt 11/06/2020)
Last Updated on November 6, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am