Last updated on April 22nd, 2021 at 01:47 pm
Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Fake News, Pseudoscience
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Truth in Media is a website owned and operated by Benjamin Swann, an American television news anchor, and journalist. He has worked in New Mexico, Texas, Ohio, Washington, D.C., and Georgia. While at Fox affiliate WXIX-TV in Cincinnati, Ohio, he began producing a fact-checking series entitled “Reality Check,” which has garnered media attention for presenting conspiracy theories. According to their about page: “Truth In Media’s content echoes the honest, unabashed and groundbreaking reporting that millions of people have appreciated from Ben for many years. Our mission is to continue our role in upholding integrity and impartiality in the Fourth Estate with an exceptional lineup that shares an ambition to preserve candor in the media.”
Funded by / Ownership
Benjamin Swann owns truth in Media. Revenue is derived through a store that sells merchandise as well as advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Truth in Media attempts to investigate stories that the mainstream media won’t cover. The mainstream media won’t cover these topics because they are not true or have been debunked. For example, Ben Swann has promoted the Pizzagate conspiracy theory and those related to the Sandy Hook Elementary Massacre. Swann has expressed skepticism of the scientific consensus that vaccines do not cause autism. Further, almost all of Truth in Media’s stories favor the right and discredit the left. Truth in Media/Ben Swann also has a poor track record with fact-checkers.
Further, during the Covid-19 pandemic, Ben Swann and Truth in Media routinely published false information, as seen below in the failed fact checks.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Why Face Masks Don’t Work, According To Science.” – False
- “Pentagon develops microchip that detects COVID under your skin”; Pentagon microchip can track your location – Inaccurate
- $100B contact tracing bill “is about controlling/tracking population, not about coronavirus.” – False
- A study from the CDC and the WHO “proves face masks do not prevent the spread of a virus.” – False
- “Not one politician has died from the virus.” – False
- Countries were exporting COVID-19 “diagnostic test instruments” in 2018. – False
- Dr. David Martin discusses the irrefutable paper trail that shows C0R0NAVlRUS was manipulated by DARPA, the NIH, and Chinese Labs. Nothing in this report is “theory”, it is all documented fact. – False
Overall, we rate Truth in Media a Questionable source based on overt right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracies and pseudoscience, and a poor track record with fact-checkers. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 4/22/2021)