These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate TMZ Left-Center Biased based on story selection that favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to sensational headlines and poor sources.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
TMZ is a celebrity news website that debuted on November 8, 2005. It was a collaboration between AOL and Telepictures Productions, a division of Warner Bros., until Time Warner divested AOL in 2009. The name TMZ stands for thirty-mile zone, the historic “studio zone” within a 30-mile (50 km) radius centered at the intersection of West Beverly Boulevard and North La Cienega Boulevard in Los Angeles California. TMZ reports all Hollywood scandals and does not discriminate. The current editor is Harvey Levin.
Funded by / Ownership
TMZ is owned by WarnerMedia and is funded through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TMZ is a tabloid-style website that reports on celebrities and, in particular, scandals. Headlines are often sensationalized such as this: MEGHAN MARKLE & PRINCE HARRY At The MLB Game In London BABY ARCHIE’S AN HONORARY YANK!!! Besides sensationalized scandal stories, TMZ frequently publishes celebrities in bikinis or shirtless men, as well as any other picture they can find that makes people look bad. TMZ frequently reports negatively on former President Trump and frequently reports on any scandals involving him or his administration when it comes to politics.
When it comes to sourcing, TMZ frequently relies on unnamed sources. In general, this is a tabloid rag that is 1 degree better than the National Enquirer in quality.
Overall, we rate TMZ Left-Center Biased based on story selection that favors the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to sensational headlines and poor sources. (D. Van Zandt 1/13/2017) Updated (8/09/2021)
Last Updated on August 9, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm