These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate TheWrap Left-Center biased due to editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to occasional poor sources, sensationalism, and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2009, TheWrap is a Hollywood news and media site focusing on the business of entertainment and media. TheWrap was founded by Sharon Waxman, former Hollywood correspondent for The New York Times, and was backed by Maveron, a venture capital firm co-founded by Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz. The Wrap focuses on investigative reporting, columns, criticism, and feature-writing. According to their about page description:
“The Wrap News Inc. is comprised of the award-winning, industry-leading website with its high-profile newsbreaks, investigative stories, and authoritative analysis.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Wrap News Inc. owns TheWrap, and revenue is derived from advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TheWrap reports news/commentary utilizing sources like Weekly Standard and Daily Beast and factually Questionable sources such as Breitbart. They use sensational, emotional wording in their headlines and articles; however, they usually cover both sides, such as:” Ann Coulter Says She’s Out of Patience With ‘Emperor God’ Trump,” “Young Turks’ Founder Cenk Uygur Apologizes for ‘Ugly,’ ‘Insensitive’ Old Blog Posts (Exclusive)” and “Trump Attacks CNN; CNN Tells Him How to Do His Job.”
TheWrap is difficult to classify. The individual articles on their website are biased toward both the left and right. However, there is a frequent criticism of former President Trump such as this: Trump Roasted for Misspelling First Lady’s Name in Tweet: ‘Who the F— Is Melanie?’.
In general, they always source their information, but sometimes those sources are of poor quality. The bottom line is TheWrap’s sole purpose is to sell ads by getting as many page views as possible. They accomplish this by promoting sensational stories with little regard for political bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- No celebrities are willing to perform for Trump’s inauguration. – Unproven
- CNN accidentally aired 30 minutes of pornography in Boston on Thanksgiving night. – False
Overall, we rate TheWrap Left-Center biased due to editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to occasional poor sources, sensationalism, and a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing 12/28/2017) Updated (11/24/2021)
Last Updated on November 24, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am