These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Yomiuri Shimbun Right-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Japan 66/180
Launched in 1874, by Takashi Koyasu and Morimichi Motono, The Yomiuri Shimbun is a Japanese newspaper published in Tokyo by The Yomiuri Shimbun Holdings. It has an English Edition called The Japan News. The Yomiuri Shimbun covers a wide variety of topics such as politics, technology, business, international affairs, culture & lifestyle, and many more. Tsuneo Watanabe is the Managing Editor-in-Chief of The Yomiuri Shimbun.
Funded by / Ownership
The Yomiuri Shimbun is owned by The Yomiuri Shimbun Holdings under the umbrella of The Yomiuri Shimbun Holdings. Toshikazu Yamaguchi is the President. The Yomiuri Shimbun Group was owned by the Shoriki Family, however, there is no information on whether the family still has shares in the group. Here is a list of executives from Yomiuri Shimbun Group. Revenue is based on advertisements and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
The Yomiuri Shimbun publishes articles with minimal emotionally loaded language such as “Prosecutor General Kurokawa resigned, Prime Minister Abe “I want to take criticism seriously” Chen Xie”. In this article, they report with quotes from PM Abe’s speech to the House of Representatives after the reports of top Tokyo prosecutor Hiromu Kurokawa gambling. Editorially, The Yomiuri Shimbun generally provides balance, however, our review concludes that they favor right-leaning positions more, such as this: Financial system Maintain stability and support companies.
When it comes to sourcing, The Yomiuri Shimbun often sources through quotes and also utilizes credible news sources such as AFP and the Jiji news agency (Jiji Press Ltd. is a Japanese news agency). They also have a partnership with two USA papers: The Washington Post and Los Angeles Times as well as a partnership with UK newspaper The Times. When covering world news they republish stories from the Associated Press and Reuters.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Yomiuri Shimbun Right-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/25/2020)
Last Updated on November 15, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am