These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate the Tennessean Least Biased based on low-biased news reporting and reasonably balanced editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The Tennessean is the principal daily newspaper in Nashville, Tennessee. Its circulation area covers 39 counties in Middle Tennessee and eight counties in southern Kentucky. The Tennessean has a long history that dates back to 1812, and they are currently a part of the USA Today Network.
Funded by / Ownership
The Tennessean is owned by Gannett, which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Tennessean covers local news through journalists with minimal bias in reporting such as this, Nashville to move on to phase two of reopening on Monday. National and international news comes from other Gatehouse/Gannett publications and the Associated Press. In general, news reporting is low-biased and factual.
Editorially, The Tennessean has a long history of endorsing Democratic Presidential Candidates, however, in 2012, they endorsed Republican Mitt Romney, and in 2016 they did not endorse either candidate. A thorough review of editorials and opinion pieces reveals a mostly balanced left-right selection with a few more opinion pieces favoring the right, but not enough to state this paper is anything other than least biased.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate the Tennessean Least Biased based on low-biased news reporting and reasonably balanced editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/29/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 11/25/2021)
Last Updated on November 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am