These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate TheSkimm Left-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. However, we also rate them High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2012, TheSkimm is an email newsletter that focuses on a short, simple, and easy-to-read version of the news and is specifically targeted at urban women aged 22-34. The newsletter is named the Daily Skimm, and the articles are also published on the website. In October 2018, The Skimm announced that they have over 7 million subscribers.
According to their about page, “theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, TheSkimm publishes short-form news stories for the web and their mobile apps. The stories are easy to read and targeted to female millennials. Headlines are typically low-biased and use few loaded words such as this: Daily Skimm: White Supremacy, Puerto Rico, and Amazon’s New (Fed)Ex. In this article, the Daily Skimm covers three topics very quickly and directly to the point through credible sourcing such as the New York Times and The Hill. They also produce stand-alone stories that generally lean slightly left, such as Food insecurity and the role of climate change: What to know. Again, this is appropriately sourced to the USDA, the EPA, and NPR. Editorially, story selection tends to favor the left slightly.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate TheSkimm Left-Center biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and a clean fact check record. (10/11/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 6/21/2021)
Last Updated on June 21, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am