The Knife is a US subscription-based news media watchdog/analyzer founded in 2014 as the Knife of Aristotle. The Knife describes itself as “We run each news story through an analysis process that measures bias and assigns objective ratings for Spin, Slant, and Logic. Then we combine those ratings into a single score so you can see the integrity of each news outlet’s coverage.” The editor of The Knife, Jens Erik Gould granted us full access to the website for the purpose of this review, and here is what we found.
The Knife dissects news articles and analyzes them thoroughly for spin, slant, and logic. They then separate the facts from spin and give a numerical rating based on the percent of spin, slant and logic. This combined score is called Total Integrity. The lower the percentage of integrity the more misleading the story is.
The Knife does not offer its methodology, as Mr. Gould states that it is proprietary, which is understandable as we also do not offer our numerical scores to the public for the same reason. They do however offer full disclosure of their writers/researchers and a detailed FAQ that explains what the ratings mean.
In reviewing The Knife’s work we found that they review more left leaning sources such as the New York Times, CNN, Associated Press, BBC, Washington Post, Al Jazeera, and the Wall Street Journal. They also reviewed stories from Fox News and Breitbart. I asked Mr. Gould why they cover more left leaning media sources and he explained that they are currently covering the “largest English speaking” media outlets, which just happen to fall to the left of center in the USA. He further states that they will be adding more right leaning sources in the future to provide more balance.
In conclusion, The Knife is a least biased website as they are very thorough in their research and well-sourced. They are taking a scientific approach in their research which removes most bias. This is a solid source for uncovering media bias on a per article basis. (D. Van Zandt 7/29/2017)
Last Updated on October 30, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am