These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Journal News Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1852, The Journal News is a newspaper in New York serving the New York counties of Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam, a region known as the Lower Hudson Valley.
Funded by / Ownership
The Journal News is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Journal News covers news, sports, lifestyle, and entertainment for the greater Lower Hudson Valley, New York area. Local news is reported with minimal loaded emotional language such as this Montefiore halts Mount Vernon Hospital closure, new emergency facility. National and international news comes from other Gannett publications and the Associated Press.
Editorially, a review of op-eds shows a slight left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Journal News Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/25/2016) Updated (10/21/2020)
Last Updated on October 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm