These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Hill Times Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1989, The Hill Times is a newspaper published twice weekly covering Canadian politics and policy. According to their about page, “The Hill Times is independently owned and based in Ottawa. Breaking exclusive stories and blazing trails every week, we’re an influential must-read for the savvy political and government insider. Our readers include Cabinet ministers, MPs, Senators, political staffers, lobbyists, backroomers, political junkies, lots of influential players in Parliament, Cabinet, the Prime Minister’s Office, the Privy Council, the Finance Department, Treasury Board, the Department of National Defence, the Justice Department, and more.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Hill Times Publishing owns and publishes The Hill Times. Advertising and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Hill Times publishes original news focused on Parliament Hill. The news is broken into sections, opinion, foreign policy, politics, policy, legislation, and lobbying. Articles and headlines use moderately loaded language, such as this Canadian government faces ‘fraught’ situation with volunteers joining Ukraine’s defence. Articles rely on credible sources such as the CBC.
Editorially, opinion pieces cover both sides with a reasonable balance. For example, this op-ed favors the left Poverty rates are falling: has anybody noticed? Another favors the right Mixed reviews for Liberal solution to protect Quebec seats. However, when taken as a whole more op-eds favor the left. In general, The Hill Times is fact-based and leans slightly left editorially.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Hill Times Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 04/03/2022)
Last Updated on April 3, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am