These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Forward Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1897, The Forward, formerly known as The Jewish Daily Forward, was an American magazine published monthly in New York City for a Jewish-American audience. In 2019, they ceased publication of the print edition and went to direct online publishing. The Forward covers international and national news as well as stories of interest to the Jewish-American communities. The current editor-in-chief is Jodi Rudoren.
Funded by / Ownership
The Forward is owned by the nonprofit Forward Association. Revenue is derived through donations, advertising, and subscription fees. The website is fully transparent as they disclose donors and finances.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Forward provides original reporting on news, politics, Jewish-American celebrities, and anti-semitism for a Jewish-American audience. Articles and headlines use loaded emotional wording such as this ‘Rome is burning’: Jewish groups seek to bypass infighting over antisemitism. This story like most is properly sourced. They also report on prominent Jewish-Americans such as Bernie Sanders: Bernie Sanders says he’s proud to be Jewish. Will Jewish voters care?. The Forward also republishes news from Haaretz, Reuters, and the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
Editorially, they offer a mix of opinions with some favoring right-leaning Benjamin Netanyahu and others that are very critical such as this Netanyahu Just Invited Israel’s Equivalent Of The KKK To Join The Government. With USA politics they hold a negative view of former President Donald Trump such as this Trump Keeps White Supremacist Donations To 2020 Campaign and a positive view of current President Joe Biden Enough for a minyan: A Jewish Who’s Who of Biden’s Cabinet-to-Be. A review of dozens of op-eds shows that they tend to lean left, but they report news factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- “A 97 year-old Holocaust survivor was killed for being Jewish yesterday. In the United States. Let that sink in.” – False (Corrected)
Overall, we rate The Forward Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record. (1/20/2017) Updated (D. Van Zandt 2/02/2021)
Last Updated on February 2, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am