- Overall, we rate the Economic Times Right-Center biased and Questionable based on numerous failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Numerous Failed Fact Checks, Fake News
World Press Freedom Rank: India 142/180
The Economic Times is an English-language, Indian daily newspaper published by Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. First published in 1961, it is the world’s second-most widely read English-language business newspaper, after the Wall Street Journal, with a readership of over 800,000. The current editor is Bodhisatva Ganguli.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In 2020 Reporters Without Borders ranked India 142 out of 180 in their Press Freedom Index, stating “Violence against journalists – including police violence, attacks by Maoist fighters, and reprisals by criminal groups or corrupt politicians – is one of the most striking characteristics of the current state of press freedom in India.”
In review, The Economic Times primarily covers financial, economic, and market news. Story selection and wording are often low biased such as this India to revamp scheme for states’ statistical capacity. This story is properly sourced. They also have a section that publishes political news, again with minimal bias in wording such as this Governments should respect freedom of press: Supreme Court. Editorially, The Economic Times does not report very negatively on Right-leaning Prime Minister Modi, and sometimes heap praise on him, however, they do offer some criticism such as this: Modi’s grand coal plan could be up against too big a barrier. In general, they lean right based on editorial positions that favor the conservative government and often report misinformation.
When reporting on USA politics they usually use the Associated Press as a source: Trump boasts Iranian general’s death was ‘American justice’.
Failed Fact Checks (shortlist of many more)
- Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat says Nationalism implies ‘Nazism’. – Misleading
- Indian Citizen From Tripura Did Not Die Due To Coronavirus In Malaysia – False
- “Don’t worry…the herd will soon realise #Bitcoin isn’s dropping below the 5th Feb low and will start the buying frenzy once again”. – False
- Russia’s Sechenov University has completed clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine. – False
- Photo of slain terrorist circulated by Indian media is made using an app – False
Overall, we rate the Economic Times Right-Center biased and Questionable based on numerous failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 5/18/2016) Updated (07/22/2020)
Last Updated on October 27, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am