These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Daily Tar Heel (DTH) Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The Daily Tar Heel (DTH) is the independent student newspaper of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It was founded on February 23, 1893, and became a daily newspaper in 1929. The paper focuses on university news and sports, but it also includes heavy coverage of Orange County and North Carolina.
Funded by / Ownership
The DTH Media Corp owns and publishes the Daily Tar Heel. The paper’s business operations are governed by a 13-member, student-majority board of directors whose open slots are filled by the board each winter for the next year. Advertising and donations generate revenue for the paper.
Analysis / Bias
The paper focuses on University news and sports, but it also includes regular coverage of Orange County and North Carolina state news. Articles and headlines occasionally utilize emotional language such as this UNC has until Friday to offer Nikole Hannah-Jones tenure or face federal lawsuit, but this is not the norm. All stories reviewed are properly sourced to credible media or first-person accounts.
Editorially, most op-eds favor a progressive/liberal perspective; however, they do provide some counter opinions such as this Column: Kamala Harris and the failures of identity politics. Our review process found that approximately 1 in 5 op-eds lean right; therefore, we designate this a left-center source based on editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Daily Tar Heel (DTH) Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/11/2017) Updated (5/29/2021)
Last Updated on May 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am