A questionable source exhibits any of the following: extreme bias, overt propaganda, poor or no sourcing to credible information and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. See all Questionable sources.
The Daily Bell
Bias: Right Libertarian, Propaganda
Notes: The Daily Bell (TDB) is a Pro-Libertarian news site. Ostensibly. The stories on the site are a mixed bag of misleading headlines, rambling writing, and thinly disguised ads. Long on hyperbole, but short on supporting links. TDB also seems to have a personal issue with Mark Zuckerberg, as three out of the ten stories on their main page were about him. Of the stories I read for the review, two stand out as examples of the issues with TDB noted above.
- The story under the headline “Slavery Is Freedom: Submit To The State And Be Free From Terrorism” the authors, simply credited as The Daily Bell staff, begin by briefly discussing the recent terrorist attack in London, then switch a long rant regarding TV licensing in the UK. They then switch to praising Czech President Milo Zeman for his extreme views on gun ownership. While any of these could have been used as a topic by themselves, putting all three in one story made it confusing and hard to follow.
- The story under the headline “Why The Money In Your Bank Account Is Not As Safe As You May Think” the authors, again credited only as The Daily Bell Staff, begin by making several unsubstantiated claims regarding government seizure of people’s bank accounts. The story then switches to a thinly disguised ad for offshore banking in general, and Sovereign Man in particular, a group that offers services for those wishing to move their money into offshore accounts.
The lone standout compared to the other stories on TDB was a personal account by Michael Demas of his time working in Nepal through All Hands Volunteers after the 2015 earthquake. It was well written, thought provoking, uplifting, and poignant. This diamond among the quartz however, is the exception on TDB, not the norm. For the lack of focus in its stories, the advertising disguised as news, and the nearly nonexistent sourcing, TDB earns a Questionable rating. (D. Kelley)
Latest from The Daily Bell
- The Chinese Middle Class Is Booming… And This Industry Is Set to Profit June 22, 2017 1:04 pm
- Who Cares About the “Wealth Gap” if Everyone is Richer? June 20, 2017 4:54 pm
- Why the Government Fails at Welfare June 19, 2017 5:06 pm
- Why Bankruptcy is Not a Magic Wand for Illinois June 18, 2017 12:21 pm
- Invest in the Highest Value Asset: Personal Skills June 16, 2017 12:02 pm
- Help Wanted: Desperate Police Departments Ditch Standards June 14, 2017 11:12 am
- Warning: EPA Fighting to Keep Water Fluoridated June 13, 2017 11:24 am
- Death Sentence for Facebook Post: America Funding Human Rights Violations June 12, 2017 2:52 pm
- Wrong Way! Why Would Puerto Rico Want to Become a State? June 10, 2017 2:09 pm
- Facebook Spies on You to Manipulate Your Emotions June 9, 2017 3:18 pm