These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Arizona Daily Star Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1877, The Arizona Daily Star is the major morning daily newspaper that serves Tucson and the surrounding districts of southern Arizona in the United States.
Funded by / Ownership
Gannett and Lee Enterprises jointly own the Arizona Daily Star. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. Lee Enterprises, which according to Open Secrets, has donated 88% of its money to Republican politicians since 1990. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Arizona Daily Star covers news, sports, and entertainment for the southern Arizona region. Reporters write local news with minimal bias such as this: Arizona now has 5 confirmed coronavirus cases. This story is properly sourced to azhealth.gov. The Associated Press provides national and international news.
Editorially, the Arizona Daily Star has endorsed Democratic Presidential Candidates since 1980; however, in 2016, they chose not to endorse a Presidential Candidate. The Daily Star has also endorsed Republicans such as John McCain for Senate. A review of editorials and op-eds reveals a left-leaning bias with more articles favoring the left such as this: Local Opinion: Why Bernie can win: A brief political memoir. Generally, the news is reported factually with a slightly left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Arizona Daily Star Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/30/2016) Updated (02/25/2022)
Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm