These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Austin Chronicle Left biased based on story selection that favors the left and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Co-founded in 1981 by publisher Nick Barbaro and editor Louis Black, The Austin Chronicle is an alternative weekly newspaper published every Thursday in Austin, Texas. The newspaper primarily covers local entertainment, events, dining and lifestyle with occasional articles related to politics.
Funded by / Ownership
The newspaper is owned by Austin Chronicle Corp and funded through an advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Austin Chronicle primarily covers entertainment news within the Austin area. They do occasionally cover politics with a left-wing bias in story selection and wording. An example article reads: The Hightower Report: Who’s Left for Trump to Tweet-bomb? Throughout the article there is significant use of loaded words to portray Trump in a negative light, such as this quote from the article: ‘Then came “The Great Donald Debacle” – his bumbling, shameful response to the racist, anti-Semitic rampage in Charlottesville by a menagerie of neo-Nazis, KKK thugs, and swastika-clad white supremacists. His empathy with these far-right extremists was so appalling that even his multimillionaire allies in Fortune 500 corporations gagged.’
News stories are well sourced to credible information with op-ed’s lacking sourcing to back opinions.
A factual search reveals that they have never failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate The Austin Chronicle Left biased based on story selection that favors the left and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 9/8/2018)
Last Updated on August 29, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds