These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Texas Tribune Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and an excellent fact-checking record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2009, The Texas Tribune is a nonprofit media organization based in Austin, Texas. Its website and content in various delivery platforms serve as an alternative news source for Texas, with a goal of supplementing mainstream media sources. The foundation was created in 2009 by venture capitalist John Thornton and veteran journalists Evan Smith and Ross Ramsey. Sewell Chan is the current editor.
Funded by / Ownership
The Texas Tribune is a Nonprofit that was initially seeded with 1 million dollars by John Thornton and his wife Julie. An additional $2.5 million was donated by various foundations and Texas philanthropists including former Democratic Lt. Governor Ben Barnes, financier T. Boone Pickens, and businessman Red McCombs. The website fully discloses the largest donors on their “Who funds us” page. Here is a list of the top 5 all-time donors:
Currently, revenue is derived through advertising, donations, and sponsorship.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Texas Tribune primarily covers Texas news through the use of journalists. Typically, there is minimal use of loaded language such as this: Texas raises the legal smoking age, exempting members of the military. This story is properly sourced via hyperlinks. When it comes to politics, The Texas Tribune often reports negatively on President Trump as well as other Republicans in Texas. They also frequently report on immigration and the border wall, with most articles favoring liberal policy. Lastly, the Texas Tribune favors the consensus on Climate Change and all other scientific matters regarding sciences.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. They are used as a resource for fact-checkers concerning Texas.
Overall, we rate the Texas Tribune Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and an excellent fact-checking record. (D. Van Zandt 9/12/2016) Updated (8/5/2021)
Last Updated on August 5, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm