China Government Bias
According to Reporters without Borders, there is “Even Tighter Control” of the media in China. The report indicates that “By relying on the massive use of new technology, President Xi Jinping has succeeded in imposing a social model in China based on control of news and information and online surveillance of its citizens.”
Media Ownership and Government Analysis
The media is strictly controlled in China by the Chinese Communist Party. The New York Times reports that during his visit to the headquarters of the state broadcaster China Central Television; President Xi Jinping said: “All news media run by the party must work to speak for the party’s will and its propositions, and protect the party’s authority and unity.”
The Government (Chinese Communist Party) regulates the media through the broadcasting watchdog, National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA) (formerly SARFT), which advises on the type of programs to be aired. According to GBTimes, they also impose “regulations on foreigners and overseas programs.” Next, media is regulated through the General Administration of Press and Publications (GAPP), an agency that supervises media and regulates media outlets by controlling licensing and regulating news content. The General Administration of Press and Publication works under the direction of the Publicity Department, which according to the Federation of American Scientists, is also called The Propaganda Department. Further, the state-controlled Xinhua News Agency, controlled by the Communist Party, produces most news content for newspapers.
In May 2022, the government began adding geographic locations to social media posts in an attempt to limit the spread of misinformation. In reality, it is an attempt to stop any dissent or criticism of the government.
In summary, the media of China is essentially 100% controlled by the Chinese government.
Last Updated on May 19, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am