These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Shavkat Mirziyoyev is currently the President of Uzbekistan. He is the head of the nationalist Liberal Democratic Party. Uzbekistan is essentially a one-party state controlled through authoritarian rule by President Mirziyoyev. We assign Shavkat Mirziyoyev a Right-Center Bias and Mixed factual rating due to the promotion of propaganda to support his leadership.
About Shavkat Mirziyoyev
Title: President (12/14/2016)
Political Party: The Liberal Democratic Party, or UzLiDeP
Political Alignment: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Rating: MIXED
- Joined the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in the late 1980s
- Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the Uzbek SSR until 1991 (Uzbek independence)
- Governor of Jizzakh Region from 1996 to September 2001
- Prime Minister (2003 – 2016)
- President (2016 – Present)
Shavkat Mirziyoyev is a member of The Liberal Democratic Party, or UzLiDeP, an Uzbek nationalist economic liberal party. The party supports protecting the rights and interests of property owners, entrepreneurs, farmers, and business people and expanding business. Although there have been reforms since the 2016 election, Shavkat Mirziyoyev rules Uzbekistan as an authoritarian leader.
According to Freedom House, under the Mirziyoyev regime, “Reports of torture and other ill-treatment persist, although highly publicized cases of abuse have resulted in dismissals and prosecutions for some officials, and small-scale corruption has been meaningfully reduced.” In general, Shavkat Mirziyoyev holds right-center political viewpoints enforced through authoritarian rule and political propaganda.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- Shavkat Mirziyoyev has not been directly fact-checked; however, he consistently promotes propaganda supporting his political party and personal positions.
(D. Van Zandt 05/19/2022)
Last Updated on May 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check