These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- In conclusion, we rate Scary Mommy Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal/progressive perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to three failed fact checks over the last 5 years.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2008, Scary Mommy is a news and opinion website/blog geared toward parenting. They also cover culture and politics as it relates to women and parenting. According to their about page, “Scary Mommy is one of the largest, most influential and trusted sources of entertainment and information for millennial moms online.” Jill Smokler created the blog and website.
Funded by / Ownership
Some Spider Studios based in New York City owns Scary Mommy. Some Spider Studios operates other brands such as cafe.com and dad.com. The company is owned by Vinit Bahara, the brother of U.S. Attorney Preet Bahara. Scary Mommy generates revenue through advertising and the sale of merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Scary Mommy publishes original articles on pregnancy, parenting, and child care. Articles and headlines use moderately loaded language such as this Teacher Resigns After Racist Rant About Black Families Caught On Zoom Call. This story is properly sourced to the Washington Post. In general, stories tend to favor the left: We Have To Keep That Anti-Trump Momentum Going. A review of their source usage shows they source properly from credible outlets such ABC News, NPR, and the Mayo Clinic.
Editorially, they favor the left through concern for climate change, support for LGBTQ, and support for Democratic candidates. In general, Scary Mommy reports news that is factual and with a left-leaning editorial bias. However, they have failed three fact checks, which renders them mixed for factual reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- Does science say that babies born in December are extra special? – False
- New Zealand is the first country to pass a law providing bereavement leave for miscarriages and stillbirths. – Misleading
- Minecraft has a newly-discovered “sex mod” of which parents should be aware and exercise caution (or restrict the game from their children entirely) – Mostly False
In conclusion, we rate Scary Mommy Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal/progressive perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to three failed fact checks over the last 5 years. (D. Van Zandt 3/4/2017) Updated (4/2/2021)
Last Updated on April 2, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am