Questionable Reasoning: Conspiracy Theories, Pseudoscience, Propaganda, Fake News, Failed Fact Checks, Third Party Hate Designation
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2016, Activist Mommy is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Johnston, a conservative vlogger, and Christian activist. Johnston is from Ohio and has 10 children. She was married to a pediatrician named Patrick, whom she divorced in 2020; she is also a pro-life author and movie producer. Both claim to be pro-life ministry leaders for many years and home educates their 10 children. According to her about page, “Elizabeth daily triggers the left by confronting the lies of abortion, feminism, Islam, and the homosexual agenda with wit and snark like only she can, and she regularly posts viral commentary videos which have netted over 100 million views.”
In August 2018, in an article by the Right-leaning Christian Post: “Facebook Bans Activist Mommy Again for ‘Hate Speech,’ Claims It Was’ Mistake,” they describe why she was banned from Facebook for hate speech.
In 2020, the domain for Activist Mommy was changed to elizabethjohnston.org.
Funded by / Ownership
The Activist Mommy is owned by Elizabeth Johnston and is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Activist Mommy is the website of Vlogger Elizabeth Johnston that presents information with an extreme right Christian bias in both story selection and wording. A sample headline reads: Radical Female Lutheran Pastor Plans on Melting Down Purity Rings to Make Vagina Statue. In general, Johnston promotes a far-right Christian agenda that consists of numerous anti-abortion, anti-LGBTQ (especially transgender), anti-Muslim and anti-Feminism articles. Activist Mommy also dabbles in pseudoscience with human-influenced climate denialism: ‘The Magic School Bus Rides Again’ to Brainwash Kids With This Leftist Talking Point. This climate denial article sources Truth Revolt, which is on our Questionable list for extreme right-wing bias and the publication of fake news and conspiracies. The Activist Mommy also supports President Trump.
The Activist Mommy has faced criticism from many who claim she promotes hate. The Southern Poverty Law Center frequently cites Johnston in their anti-LGBTQ Roundups, which spotlights people who say or do things that promote hatred toward LGBTQ. The Activist Mommy has also been criticized for giving advice on how to get away with beating your children. Lastly, she has falsely claimed that LGBTQ ‘sneak into schools to rape the minds of our children.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Breaking! Roy Moore’s accuser worked for Democratic leaders and is actively campaigning for Moore’s opponent.” – Mostly False
- Covid-19 Vaccine microchip “would give officials information on who has and has not been vaccinated” and “track the location of the patient” – False
- Jim Carrey said, “The virus has proved that the entire world can be easily manipulated through fear by simply controlling media, academia, and medicine.” – False
Overall, we rate the Activist Mommy Questionable based on Extreme Right Christian Bias, the promotion of conspiracies/pseudoscience, the publication of fake news, and being identified as an anti-LBGTQ activist. (D. Van Zandt 9/26/2019) Updated (12/23/2021)
Newsguard: Credible (How?)
Allsides: Not rated
Last Updated on January 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am