These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Regulation Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor a libertarian economic perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Regulation is a quarterly periodical about policy published by the Cato Institute. It was started as a bimonthly magazine in 1977 by the American Enterprise Institute and acquired by Cato in 1989. Past editors have included former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, Murray Weidenbaum, Christopher DeMuth, Walter Olson, and Peter Huber. Peter Van Doren has edited the magazine since 1999.
Funded by / Ownership
Regulation is owned and published by Cato Institute, which is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit think tank whose current CEO and President is Peter N. Goettler. According to their about page “Cato receives approximately 80 percent of its funding through tax-deductible contributions from individuals, many of whom are responding to informative direct mail solicitations and program updates.” Cato offers an annual report that shows the percentages of money received as well as their IRS 990 form. The Cato Institute is funded by a wide variety of organizations including Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Charles Koch Foundation, and Sarah Scaife Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Regulation covers microeconomics and regulatory policy from a right-leaning Libertarian perspective. Articles are usually written by prominent economists, political scientists, and law professors. Articles and headlines always match and do not use loaded language such as this The Limits of Antitrust in the 21st Century. Basically, content on Regulation is also published on Cato. Therefore we assign the same rating.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Regulation Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor a libertarian economic perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/20/2016) Updated (7/18/2020)
Last Updated on July 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds