A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Populist Press far right biased and Questionable based on the use of poor sources, promotion of propaganda and misinformation, and a complete lack of transparency and serving as an imposter website.
Reasoning: Imposter Website, Poor Sourcing, Propaganda, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in October 2020, Populist Press is a website that looks like the Drudge Report. In fact, in bold red, they state at the top of the page, “ANNOUNCEMENT: Big Tech Hates us; we don’t use social media, so they can’t censor us. PLEASE bookmark us, visit daily and email our page to all your friends. SINCE DRUDGE SOLD OUT TO “CHYNA” …WE ARE THE NEW DRUDGE!”
Unlike the Drudge Report, they curate/aggregate news with a strong conservative bias and lack transparency as they do not disclose editors, authors, or ownership.
Populist Press has been linked to Steve Bannon’s network or misinformation websites blocked by Facebook.
Funded by / Ownership
Populist Press completely lacks transparency and does not disclose ownership, though, as stated above may be connected to Steve Bannon. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Populist Press is an imposter website that attempts to look and behave like the Drudge Report, with a much stronger conservative bias. Populist.Press curates and aggregates news from a variety of mostly conservative, conspiracy, and questionable sources. Some sources we found used are Epoch Times (Questionable), Frontpage Mag (Questionable), Gateway Pundit (Questionable), and NewsMax (Questionable). Further, they also link to Steve Bannon’s War Room, frequently spreading disinformation regarding Coronavirus, with Bannon even declaring he wants to see Anthony Fauci beheaded. This resulted in his ban from Twitter.
Although Populist Press does not produce original content, it can be stated that they editorially align with the far-right based on story selection that always favors the right. Finally, during the Presidential Election of 2020, they have consistently republished election fraud misinformation. In general, the sources utilized by Populist Press are mixed factual at best and almost always right biased or questionable.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Populist Press far right biased and Questionable based on the use of poor sources, promotion of propaganda and misinformation, and a complete lack of transparency and serving as an imposter website. (11/25/2020) Updated (04/17/2022)
Last Updated on April 17, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am