These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate People Magazine Left Biased based on editorial positions and political news reporting that favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1974, People is an American weekly magazine of mostly celebrity and human-interest stories, published by the Meredith Corporation. With a readership of 46.6 million adults, People has the largest audience of any American magazine. The current editor is Dan Wakeford.
Funded by / Ownership
In 2017, People Magazine was bought by the Meredith Corporation from Time Inc. The Meredith Corporation “owns magazines, television stations, websites, and radio stations. Meredith’s publications have a readership of more than 120 million, paid circulation of more than 40 million, and its websites have nearly 135 million monthly unique visitors. Meredith’s broadcast television stations reach 11% of U.S. households.” Advertising, subscriptions, and newsstand sales generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, People Magazine primarily publishes general interest and celebrity news; however, the online section contains a politics section that we will review. Political news sometimes uses emotionally loaded language that favors the left, such as this: Trump Tried to Attack Biden Using a Nickelback Song, Then His Tweet Was Taken Down Over Copyright: ‘The Dumbest Timeline.’ Other political stories are more serious and adequately sourced: Planned Parenthood to Open Large Clinic Near States Where Abortion Access Is Threatened. In general, the editorial direction of People is left-biased, with many stories negative toward conservatives and the former Trump Administration.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate People Magazine Left Biased based on editorial positions and political news reporting that favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (12/9/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 12/02/2021)
Last Updated on December 2, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am