These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Outside the Beltway Left-Center Biased based on the promotion of left-libertarian perspectives. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to extensive sourcing and a clean fact check for the last 5 years.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded by James Joyner in 2003, Outside the Beltway is an online journal of politics and foreign affairs analysis. James Joyner states on the about page, “For the most part, our views are Classical Liberal: a strong belief in free trade, limited government, and respect for human rights. We aim to have informed, polite conversation about the issues we find interesting.”
James Joyner serves as the editor and his bio states, “James Joyner is Professor and Department Head of Security Studies at Marine Corps University‘s Command and Staff College and a nonresident senior fellow at the Scowcroft Center for Strategy and Security at the Atlantic Council. He’s a former Army officer and Desert Storm vet.”
Funded by / Ownership
Outside the Beltway is owned by James Joyner, with revenue derived through donations and a Patreon account. The website does run advertising.
Analysis / Bias
From our 2017 review: “They claim their views are Classical Liberal: a strong belief in free trade, limited government, and respect for human rights. In reviewing articles, I found a general left-center position with multiple articles criticizing President Trump. Outside the Beltway also criticizes climate change denial and respects human rights, which falls more in line with the political left. On the flip side, they have articles supporting the Citizen United decision based on their interpretation of the constitution. This aligns more with the political right.”
In 2021, our review has determined a similar perspective. For example, they report pro-science viewpoints such as this Another Study Rebuts The Claim That Vaccinations Cause Autism. This story is properly and thoroughly sourced from credible outlets such as the CDC. While they were not fans of former President Trump, they do report more favorably on Biden, especially as it relates to more free-market positions such as this Biden’s ‘Promoting Competition’ Order. OTB generally promotes libertarian-leaning perspectives; however, most align more with the libertarian-left, especially related to social issues.
Failed Fact Checks
- None is the last 5 years.
Overall, we rate Outside the Beltway Left-Center Biased based on the promotion of left-libertarian perspectives. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to extensive sourcing and a clean fact check for the last 5 years. (D. Van Zandt 7/22/2017) Updated (7/11/2021)
Last Updated on July 11, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm