These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
Updated: This source stopped publishing in 2019.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in September 1995, OC Weekly is a free weekly paper based in Fountain Valley, California. Duncan McIntosh Co. is the owner and publisher of the OC Weekly since 2016 and according to an LA Times article dated Oct. 2017, The editor of the OC Weekly, Longtime Orange County columnist Gustavo Arellano resigned from his position and the new managing editor is Nick Schou.
OC Weekly focuses on a variety of topics including news, arts and entertainment, food and drink, and more. OC Weekly stated they do not give political endorsements but they will tell who NOT to vote for with their “Your 2016 OC Anti-Endorsement Voting Guide!.” On this list, Republicans were the primary people not to vote for.
In review, OC Weekly utilizes credible sources such as http://www2.mbc.ca.gov and typical source through interviews and quotes. There is the frequent use of emotional wording in their headlines and articles such as “All’s Quiet on the Jeff Sessions Front When It Comes to OC Speech to “Hate Group”, however they also report from the right-wing perspective such as: “Ex-OC Lawman-Turned-Artist Mocks Anti-Donald Trump Crowd With New Book.” In reporting news there is little bias and information is factual. There is a left-leaning editorial bias as the OC Weekly is opposed to Republican candidates. Overall, we rate OC Weekly Left-Center biased based on editorial positions and High for factual reporting. (M. Huitsing 1/26/2018)
Last Updated on December 10, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am