These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate AllAfrica Least Biased based on balanced and diverse story selection and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: South Africa
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1999, AllAfrica is a news aggregation site that, according to stanford.edu, was “formed from a merger with the publishers of the well-known, Africa News from Durham, NC founded by Reed Kramer.”
AllAfrica aggregates content from different news sources exclusively from the African continent or pertaining to Africa. The site’s focus is on News, Business, African Life, politics related to Africa, and more. AllAfrica also provides access to news broken down by African countries or other focus areas, such as under the section tab “development,” you can access various topics ranging from “aid and assistance, education, environment, food and agriculture, health and women.”
According to their “who we are” page, AllAfrica has offices in Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi, and Washington DC. You can find more detailed information regarding the history of the site here.
Funded by / Ownership
Reed Kramer and Amadou Mahtar Ba are the co-founders and owners of AllAfrica Global Media Inc., which owns AllAfrica. AllAfrica’s revenue is derived mainly from ads, sales, sponsored content, donations. Although access to the news articles on the site is free, a subscription is required to access the complete archives and documents.
For details on South African Government and Media, influence click here: South Africa Government and Media.
Analysis / Bias
AllAfrica aggregates news from newspapers, news agencies, and publications from the African continent. For example, at the bottom of this article, they provide a link to the content source, which is a Kenyan newspaper called The Daily Nation: “Kenya: Farmers Told Not to Use Weed Killers That May Cause Cancer” or in this article under the section “corruption,” they source the South African News agency, News24. They also provide a complete list of sources that they aggregate from. Finally, AllAfrica publishes their own stories, “South Africa: Semenya: Swiss court temporarily suspends IAAF testosterone rules,” and utilizes credible sources such as the AFP.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate AllAfrica Least Biased based on balanced and diverse story selection and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 6/4/2019) Updated (12/26/2021)
Last Updated on February 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am