These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Novinky.cz Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing and a lack of transparency.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: Czech Republic
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, Novinky.cz is an online news magazine of the print Czech daily Právo launched in 1991 and is part of the internet portal Seznam.cz. Novinky.cz focuses on tabloid-style sensationalized news content, such as lifestyle and entertainment-related news, with minimal focus on news and politics. Právo is a Czech daily newspaper published in Prague that provides content for Novinky.cz. The editor-in-chief is Vladimír Dušánek. The website lacks transparency as they do not provide an about page or name ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
Novinky.cz ownership information is not transparent. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In 2021, Reporters Without Borders ranked the Czech Republic 40/180 in their Press Freedom Index. The current President is Miloš Zeman (populist center-right), and The current prime minister of the Czech Republic is Andrej Babiš (populist right center).
In review, Novinky.cz predominantly delivers tabloid-style news and crime stories that typically rely on heavily image-focused articles with sensational headlines such as “Aren’t you in the mood for sex? Try these six sexy activities.” When covering national news, the headlines use moderately loaded language such as ”Babiš expelled Prymula from the government and apologized for him.” and more neutral wording such as “Zeman wants to veto the tax package.” When it comes to sourcing, they use The Czech News Agency (ČTK); however, they rarely use hyperlinks but offer quotations and frequently hyperlink to themselves, such as here “Zeman: Sometimes businesses that would normally go bankrupt reach out.” When covering world news about the USA, they use sources such as Axios and Business Insider while covering the Trump administration with a critical tone such as this “Trump is planning big meetings, he intends to brand obituaries of allegedly dead voters.” Further, they also report negatively on right-wing populism such as that found in Poland: With the victory, Biden cruelly disappointed Warsaw. In this article, they state that the Polish Government “violated all the principles of diplomacy because since taking power five years ago, it has maintained contacts exclusively with government Republicans, while ostentatiously ignoring Democrats.” The news is generally reported factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Novinky.cz Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing and a lack of transparency. (M. Huitsing 12/8/2020) Updated (04/11/2022)
Last Updated on April 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm