A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate The Nordic Research and Monitoring Network (Nordic Monitor) questionable based on story selection and editorial positions that are opposed to Turkey’s right-leaning government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, and a lack of transparency regarding ownership and funding.
Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Poor Sourcing, Propaganda
World Press Freedom Rank: Sweden 4/180
The Nordic Research and Monitoring Network (Nordic Monitor) is a news website run by Abdullah Bozkurt, formerly Ankara Bureau Chief of the daily Today’ Zaman which was shut down by the Turkish Government in 2016. BBC reports “The paper was closely linked to the Hizmet movement of influential US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, which Turkey says is a terrorist.” Besides Bozkurt, other staff includes exiled Turkish journalists in Sweden such as Levent Kenez and Murat Cetiner. The Nordic Monitor primarily reports on Turkey and is based in Stockholm, Sweden.
Funded by / Ownership
The Nordic Research and Monitoring Network (Nordic Monitor) does not disclose ownership or how they are funded, nor is there any evidence that the website generates revenue through advertising. In general, they lack transparency.
Analysis / Bias
Recep Tayyip Erdogan is the president of Turkey. He is the leader of The Justice and Development Party (AKP) which is the ruling conservative political party in Turkey. Learn more about Turkey’s Government and media.
In review, the Nordic Monitor publishes articles critical of the Erdogan government with emotionally loaded language such as “Turkey has a plan for the invasion of Greece, secret documents reveal” and “Turkish Embassy in Washington spied on critical journalist, collected intel on him”. The Turkish journalist mentioned in the article is exiled journalist Emre Uslu who is accused of having close ties with the Gulen Movement. When it comes to sourcing, they often hyperlink to themselves or use large quotes that refer to “documents” that they allegedly obtained. Almost every article mentions “confidential documents obtained by Nordic Monitor.” Further, they also utilize other Fethullah Gulen linked websites such as The Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) or their other anti-Turkey projects. When covering world news, pertaining to the USA, they rarely cover the Trump administration, however when they do, it is always related to Turkey such as “Former US envoy claims 40,000 ISIS fighters traveled to Syria via Turkey”. In general, the Nordic Monitor has a very strong anti-Erdogan bias and promotes propaganda.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Nordic Research and Monitoring Network (Nordic Monitor) questionable based on story selection and editorial positions that are opposed to Turkey’s right-leaning government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, and a lack of transparency regarding ownership and funding. (M. Huitsing 6/18/2020)
Last Updated on June 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am