These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Newsday Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1940, Newsday is an American daily tabloid newspaper that primarily serves Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island and the New York City borough of Queens, although it is sold throughout the New York metropolitan area. The current editor is Debbie Henley.
Newsday has won 19 Pulitzer Prizes and has been a finalist for 20 additional.
Funded by / Ownership
Newsday is owned by Newsday Media, which is controlled by Patrick Dolan, the son of Charles Dolan, the founder of Cablevision. Revenue is derived through advertising, sponsored content, and subscription sales.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Newsday publishes a combination of sensationalized local news as well as credible in-depth journalism. Local headlines are generally mild to moderate in loaded language such as this: MTA inspector general investigating ‘smashed’ time clock. National and International news comes from the Associated Press.
Editorially, Newsday has only endorsed a Republican Presidential candidate one time since 1988. A review of editorials reveals somewhat of a balance between right and left, however more favor the left in total. In general, the news is reported factually with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Newsday Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/18/2016) Updated (12/13/2019)
Last Updated on January 31, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am