These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) a Pro-Science source as they hold the number one impact rating in the world and frequently publish peer-reviewed research.
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1812, the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) is the oldest continuously published medical journal in the world. It is considered one of the most prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals and is cited more often in the scientific literature than any other medical journal, and has the highest Journal Impact Factor (74.699). The journal and website are geared toward medical professionals. The current editor is Eric Rubin.
Funded by / Ownership
The New England Journal of Medicine is owned and published by the Massachusetts Medical Society. Revenue is generated through subscriptions and advertising as well as investment income from the Massachusetts Medical Society endowment.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the NEJM publishes peer-reviewed studies and research on the field of medicine. They are considered to be the most credible medical journal in the world. Typical articles are similar to these: Osimertinib Adjuvant Therapy in EGFR-Mutated NSCLC Y.-L. Wu and Others and Neutralizing-Antibody Therapy in Covid-19 P. Chen and Others.
The New England Journal of Medicine also publishes editorials that favor science and consensus. For example, in October 2020, the journal published an editorial, signed by all 34 editors, in which they condemned the Trump administration’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic saying that “they are dangerously incompetent” and that “they have taken a crisis and turned it into a tragedy.” This is the first time the journal has ever supported or condemned a political candidate and only three other times in history has an editorial been signed by all the editors. Further, they sometimes publish special reports that involve politics such as this: Implications of the 2020 Election for U.S. Health Policy. In general, all information published by NEJM is Highly Factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) a Pro-Science source as they hold the number one impact rating in the world and frequently publish peer-reviewed research. (D. Van Zandt 10/30/2020)
Last Updated on October 30, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am