Last updated on August 3rd, 2020 at 08:39 am
These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV) Left-Center Biased based on story selection and political affiliation that favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: India 142/180
Founded in 1988, New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV) is an Indian Television Media Company headquartered in New Delhi, India.
New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV) presents world affairs with an Indian perspective and they provide National News critical of Right-wing populist, current PM Narendra Modi. According to an article published by the NY Times, NDTV was raided by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) searching the residences of the NDTV’s co-founders Dr. Prannoy Roy and Mr. Nariman.
Funded by / Ownership
Ownership of NDTV is difficult to determine as it is owned by shareholders. The top 3 shareholders are Radhika and Prannoy Roy and Mahendra Nahata, a member of the RJio board. Revenue is derived from advertisements.
Analysis / Bias
According to Reporters without Borders the media environment in India is threatened by increasing nationalism. India ranks 140th out of 180 countries on the World Press Freedom Index.
In review, New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV) republishes stories from The Washington Post, AFP, and Reuters. For national news, they republish stories from the Press Trust of India, which is the largest news agency in India and the Indo Asian News Service.
New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV) utilizes minimally loaded headlines such as “Editorial Freedom Must Be Used Wisely, PM Modi Says In Message To Media”, however, their articles are sourced through quotes and rarely linked to those sources, instead they note “With agency inputs” at the end of the article. Editorially, they often report somewhat negatively on right-leaning Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Failed Fact Checks
- No, Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal does not have six children; misinformation by NDTV – FALSE
- IANS, NDTV use old photo to claim BJP’s Pankaja Munde wept after electoral loss; delete later – FALSE
- Congress members target PM Modi based on incorrect tweet by NDTV – FALSE
- Elephant was ‘fed’ a pineapple with firecrackers and that the incident took place in Kerala’s Malappuram district. – FALSE
- Anju Bobby George, Olympian long jumper and India’s first athletics medalist at the World Championship is joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) – FALSE
Overall, we rate New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV) Left-Center Biased based on story selection and political affiliation that favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 3/18/2018) Updated (8/03/2020)