These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Meduza Left biased based on editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in October 2014, Meduza or Medusa Project is a news website headquartered in Riga, Latvia. Meduza is a Russian news website that isn’t based in Russia. Galina Timchenko, who got fired as chief editor of Lenta.ru. (Russia’s most popular news website), launched Meduza in Latvia. Meduza, also known as its English version, is called “The Real Russia Today.”
According to its about page, Meduza focuses on “the most important news and feature stories from hundreds of sources in Russia and across the former Soviet Union.”
Meduza is banned in Russia due to its critical coverage of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Funded by / Ownership
Galina Timchenko is CEO and the Publisher of Meduza is Ilya Krasilshchik. According to a Newsweek article, Timchenko prefers to keep Meduza’s investors anonymous.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Meduza uses emotionally loaded language in their headlines, such as “Leonid Slutsky must resign from the State Duma.” In articles, they typically source anti-Russian government sources such as RTVI, which is unavailable in Russia. However, Meduza also utilizes credible sources such as the BBC, The Financial Times, AP, and Reuters and Russian propaganda news sources to illustrate misleading information like Russian News Agency TASS and Russia’s international news agency RIA Novosti.
Editorially, Meduza also has an anti-Putin/Russian government bias because Putin and the Russian government, in general, are socially conservative, anti-gay, and pro religion/traditional values. They are also strongly opposed to the Russian invasion of Ukraine with articles such as this No to War An editorial from Meduza.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. Ukrainian fact-checker Polygraph.info frequently uses them.
Overall, we rate Meduza Left biased based on editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 3/23/2018) Updated (04/25/2022)
Last Updated on April 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am