These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Knewz Right-Center Biased based on source selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to the occasional use of poor sources that have the potential to fail fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in January 2020, Knewz is a news aggregator/curator owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. According to their about page, “We honor original reporting, favoring genuine scoops over crass clickbait. Most importantly, we provide a range of perspectives in the stories we showcase, from large and small publications, liberal and conservative, niche and general, located in all 50 states.” They further state, “Knewz.com works by combining cutting-edge artificial intelligence with experienced editors. The technology scans hundreds of news sources, and our editors highlight a selection of headlines that provide a broad perspective on stories of the day.”
Funded by / Ownership
Knewz is currently operated by NCNS Holdings LLC., a subsidiary of News Corp and owned by Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch owns numerous right-leaning media outlets, including Fox News, Wall Street Journal, and the New York Post. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Knewz utilizes a combination of human curation and artificial intelligence to present news from 400 different sources. The sources used vary, ranging from right to left and between. Aggregated news stories are broken down by topic, and the reader is presented with multiple sources covering the same stories. For example, under the heading “California Lockdowns,” they present news articles from many different media outlets such as local media, The San Diego Union-Tribune, and Los Angeles Times as well national outlets such as Fox News, The Hill, and Reuters. However, under this heading, they also link to OANN, a questionable source that frequently fails fact checks and holds a far-right bias Riverside County sheriff refuses to implement Calif. Gov. Newsom’s lockdown orders. In reviewing numerous topic headings, we found that Murdoch-owned sources tended to be placed at the top more often, particularly Fox News.
Knewz also publishes its own news articles in mostly a summary format, citing other sources. We found that many of these stories favor the right such as this AOC slammed for selling $58 ‘Tax the Rich’ sweatshirts… which is why we’re giving them away for free (sort of). The primary source used for this story is the right biased and factually mixed Washington Free Beacon. However, it is important to mention that they also provide links to other sources that covered the same story, such as Newsweek and the Questionable Newsmax. Finally, the website also features a poll that is written in a biased way Do you think media bias against Trump could affect the election? This poll indicates a strongly right-leaning readership, with 87% responding “yes.” In general, Knewz provides a reasonable balance in source selection; however, right-leaning sources are used more often and hold higher positions. Editorially, they moderately favor the right and Murdoch-owned news sources.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years; however, some of the sources used have poor track records with fact-checkers. Although these sources have failed fact checks, Knewz only publishes articles that have other varied sources backing the story; therefore, we could not find any false claims.
Overall, we rate Knewz Right-Center Biased based on source selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to the occasional use of poor sources that have the potential to fail fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 12/6/2020) Updated (04/11/2022)
Last Updated on April 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am