Founded in 1868, The San Diego Union-Tribune is an American metropolitan daily newspaper, published in San Diego, California. Its name derives from a 1992 merger between the two major daily newspapers at the time, The San Diego Union and the San Diego Evening Tribune. The current publisher is Jeff Light.
Funded by / Ownership
The San Diego Union-Tribune has changed ownership several times in its history. It was most recently acquired by Patrick Soon-Shiong‘s investment firm Nant Capital LLC for $500 million plus $90m in pension liabilities. The newspaper is funded through a subscription and advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
Throughout much of the last 90 years, the San Diego Union-Tribune has been a conservative paper that frequently endorsed Republican candidates or simply refused to cover Democratic candidates at all. When the paper was purchased by the Tribune Publishing Company in 2015 the paper moved leftward toward the center. Then in 2018, when the paper was bought by Patrick Soon-Shiong, who is a Democratic donor, the paper moved slightly left in editorial direction.
In review, The San Diego Union-Tribune does not use loaded language in news reporting and all information is properly sourced. Editorially, there is a slight left leaning bias, however all perspectives are given a voice and therefore we classify this paper on the left side of least biased.
A factual search reveals they have never failed a fact check
Overall, we rate the San Diego Union-Tribune Least Biased based on mostly balanced editorials and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/18/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/25/2019)
Last Updated on August 8, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am