These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the International Crisis Group Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that mostly favor the left. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting due to extensive sourcing and for being used as a source for fact-checkers.
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Belgium 12/180
The International Crisis Group (Crisis Group) is a transnational non-profit, non-governmental organization founded in 1995 that carries out field research on violent conflict and advances policies to prevent, mitigate or resolve conflict. It advocates policies directly with governments, multilateral organizations, and other political actors as well as the media. According to their about page, the mission is to “work to prevent wars and shape policies that will build a more peaceful world.” The current President and CEO is Robert Malley.
Funded by / Ownership
The International Crisis Group is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that is supported through donations. They disclose their financials indicating that 43% comes from Governments, 31% Foundations, 22% Private Sector, Other contributions, and investments 4%.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the International Crisis Group performs field research, analysis, and advocacy. Headlines and articles contain minimally loaded language such as this: Calibrating the Response: Turkey’s ISIS Returnees. This analysis is extremely well-sourced and researched.
Politically, the group is concerned about climate change such as this Climate Change Is Shaping the Future of Conflict as well as concerns for human rights Nepal: Dealing with a Human Rights Crisis. Further, when reporting on US politics they generally do not agree with the Trump administration We Don’t Need A Wall To Manage Migration From Mexico. In general, the news is reported factually and with a moderate left-leaning policy bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. In fact, they are used by IFCN fact-checkers to verify the information.
Overall, we rate the International Crisis Group Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that mostly favor the left. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting due to extensive sourcing and for being used as a source for fact-checkers. (D. Van Zandt 8/30/2016) Updated (7/2/2020)
Last Updated on December 1, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds