Last updated on September 11th, 2021 at 09:05 am
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: India (142/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
India Today is an Indian news magazine and website founded by Vidya Vilas Purie in 1975. Madhu Purie Trehan is the founding editor in chief of India Today, covering topics ranging from politics, policy, entertainment, and more.
Funded by / Ownership
India Today is owned by the India Today Group and published by Living Media. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
India Today reports international news with low biased wording, and they source properly to credible mainstream media sources such as Reuters. The current Prime Minister of India is Narendra Modi, the head of the conservative Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Editorially, India Today rarely criticizes Modi and often reports favorable on him, such as this PM Narendra Modi crosses 60mn followers on Twitter. In general international news is reported factually, while national news holds a right-center bias favoring the current government.
Failed Fact Checks
- 55-year-old teacher being harassed and abused by his students in an online class – False
- Brazilian fans pelting eggs and stones at Brazil’s team bus following its exit from the World Cup. – False
- Elephant was ‘fed’ a pineapple with firecrackers and that the incident took place in Kerala’s Malappuram district. – FALSE
- Blue moon is occurring after 76 years – False
- Photo shows the new Governor of Afghanistan’s Central Bank with a gun and laptop – False
Overall, we rate India Today Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the conservative government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 9/5/2017) Updated (9/11/2021)