These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate High Times Left Biased based on editorial positions and advocacy for marijuana legalization. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the occasional promotion of pseudoscience.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1974, High Times is a monthly magazine and website that advocates and reports on Marijuana. High Times has been a pro-legalization advocate since its founding. They describe themselves as the “definitive resource for all things cannabis.” News and information are broken into news, business, culture, events, products, and grow sections.
Funded by / Ownership
High Times Holding Corp owns High Times Magazine. Investors include Damian Marley, son of Bob Marley, and Adam Levin from Oreva Capital. High Times Holding Corp generates revenue through advertising, subscription fees, and events such as the Cannabis Cup. They also own several Marijuana dispensaries.
Analysis / Bias
High Times reports news and information on the use of Marijuana and the political and economic aspects of the industry. Articles and headlines contain minimal loaded emotional wording such as this No Fentanyl Found in Cannabis After All, Vermont Police Say. This article is sourced from credible local media outlets. A sourcing review reveals they rely on credible sources such as the Associated Press, the Lancet, and the Journal Psychopharmacology.
Editorially, all articles favor a liberal perspective through cannabis advocacy, such as this New Jersey Lawmakers Double Cannabis Dispensary Licenses. Politically, they report negatively on conservatives who do not support the legalization: Trump, Belief, and the Drug War. While most information is fact-based, High Times has published pseudoscience by claiming that cannabis can cure and treat cancer. For example, they claim that cannabis kills cancer cells Federal Government Unwittingly Admits Cannabis Kills Cancer. There is currently no evidence to support this. In general, High Times reports news factually and with a left-leaning bias; however, they sometimes promote misleading claims regarding the benefits of Marijuana.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the last 5 years.
Overall, we rate High Times Left Biased based on editorial positions and advocacy for marijuana legalization. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the occasional promotion of pseudoscience. (D. Van Zandt 12/12/2021) Updated (02/02/2022)
Last Updated on February 2, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am