These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Guido Fawkes Right Biased due to word choices that favor the Right and Mixed for factual reporting based on poor sourcing.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180
Launched on 2004, Guido Fawkes (order-order.com) is a British right-wing, tabloid-style blog founded by Paul Staines. According to the Guardian Paul Staines is a “former member of the Committee for a Free Britain, a shadowy organisation funded by Sir James Goldsmith and Rupert Murdoch.” Harry Cole is listed as part of the editorial team together with Paul Staines. Cole is also contributing editor for The Spectator and writes a gossip column for GQ.
Funded by / Ownership
The founder of Guido Fawkes (order-order.com) Paul Staines also co-founded with Jag Singh a company called Message Space, which is a profitable digital advertising agency that hosts viral marketing campaigns and sells ads across a network of political blogs. According to a Guardian interview (2011) the combined Order-Order and Message Space turnover is about £150,000 a year and allows Staines to employ a full-time advertising sales team.
Analysis / Bias
According to a Guardian interview, Political blogger, aka Guido Fawkes describes himself as ‘anarcho-libertarian, or Thatcherite on drugs.’ The blog publishes scandals related to politicians with Guido stating its aim is to expose rumors and conspiracies of Westminster.
In review, Guido Fawkes (order-order.com) utilizes emotionally loaded language in its headlines such as “ANDREA JENKYNS: BREXIT LEGEND” and “DOG WHISTLE LABOUR MESSAGES SENT TO MUSLIM VOTERS.” These blog posts often display social media posts from Twitter or Facebook with Paul Staines writing short comments such as Theresa May’s policies “will mercilessly target our communities, our places of worship and all areas of our lives”. Worrying stuff…”
Essentially, Guido Fawkes is adding a few opinionated soundbites to their blog posts with the hope of increasing discussion to encourage clicking (Clickbait) or sharing on social media. Generally all stories favor the right with many having a nationalist tone and are poorly sourced. Further, this source downplays climate change by publishing articles that show Polar Bears are thriving and demonstrating that green energy is too costly.
Overall, we rate Guido Fawkes Right Biased due to word choices that favor the Right and Mixed for factual reporting based on poor sourcing. (M. Huitsing 6/13/2018) Updated (10/18/2019)
Last Updated on October 5, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm