These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Göteborgs-Posten Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the Right. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: EXCELLENT
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1813, Göteborgs-Posten is a Swedish news and media website based in Gothenburg, Sweden. Read our profile on the Swedish government’s influence on media.
Göteborgs-Posten focuses on covering mainly Local News, Economy, Sports, Entertainment, and community events, as well as major domestic and foreign news. Göteborgs-Posten’s publisher is Christofer Ahlqvist, who is also listed as editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Göteborgs-Posten is owned by the Swedish media company, The Stampen Group. Peter Hjörne is the largest shareholder of the company. Göteborgs-Posten generates revenue through commercial advertising and subscription fees. According to an Expressen article, The Stampen Group and its owner had some financial difficulties.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Göteborgs-Posten mainly focuses on covering local news such as “Taxi driver is charged with rape against passengers.” National and regional news are sometimes covered by reporters, using sources such as Aftonbladet and Expressen. Regarding Swedish political news, the tone is critical of the current Left-Center PM Stefan Löfven: “Arne Larsson: A big failure for the prime minister” and also presents a negative tone towards immigration, “Immigration is not needed to support an aging population.”
When covering world news, they use wire services such as Sweden’s National News Agency TT (owned jointly by the national newspapers and, therefore, the media owners). They cover the former Trump administration with a negative tone such as “Donald Trump’s psyche in the limelight” and use emotionally loaded language in their headlines such as “More and more people are taking their lives in the United States.” Although this story may be true, there isn’t a single hyperlink to support their claims.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Göteborgs-Posten Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the Right. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques. (M. Huitsing 12/25/2019) Updated (08/19/2022)
Last Updated on August 19, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am