Last updated on January 9th, 2021 at 10:34 am
A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Global Times Questionable based on the promotion of Pro-Chinese Government propaganda. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to bias by omission as well as failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Chinese Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, Misleading, Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: China 177/180
Founded in 1993, The Global Times is a daily Chinese daily tabloid newspaper under the direction of the Chinese Communist Party’s People’s Daily newspaper, commenting on international issues from a nationalistic perspective. The current editor is Hu Xijin.
Funded by / Ownership
The Global Times is owned by The People’s Daily, which is the largest newspaper group in China. The paper is an official newspaper of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, published worldwide with a circulation of 3 million. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Global Times publishes news regarding China and internationally with a pro-Chinese government bias. While many stories are factual and low biased, there is a significant bias by omission where they do not report negatively on the Chinese Government nor positively on western news. For example, they often use loaded emotional language to describe the United States such as this: US disgraceful to undermine WTO, while often celebrating President Xi Jinping such as this Amazed to witness China’s rise first hand. It is not that the Global Times is reporting false information, it is that they are not reporting all true information and promoting pro-Chinese propaganda.
According to Quartz the Global times is “China’s most belligerent tabloid and is certainly a one-of-a-kind publication. The Chinese- and English-language news outlet is published by the ruling Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) paramount mouthpiece, the People’s Daily, but it goes much further than China’s typically stodgy state news. The Global Times is best known for its hawkish, insulting editorials—aggressive attacks that get it noticed, and quoted, by foreign media around the world as the “voice” of Beijing, even as the party’s official statements are more circumspect.”
Failed Fact Checks
- The coronavirus spreading in China was created by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2015, offering a real patent as proof. – False
- Simon Cheng, a staffer at the UK consulate in Hong Kong, with a sex worker in China. – False
- “Scientists ‘unable to judge’ if US lab is virus source due to lack of govt response.” – False
- “Chinese web users still remember the distress and anger they felt when they saw rioters in Hong Kong storming the Legislative Council Complex … US politicians hailed the ‘courage’ of these mobs … House Speaker Nancy Pelosi even called it a ‘beautiful sight.’” – False
Overall, we rate Global Times Questionable based on the promotion of Pro-Chinese Government propaganda. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to bias by omission as well as failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 11/28/2016) Update (1/09/2021)